Thursday, November 5, 2009

Spicy Bean and Biscuit Pot Pie

Okay, this was delicious! (Sorry I forgot to take a picture!) I'll admit... a little time consuming (but easy), but delicious! The recipe came from a cookbook my mother in law gave me (Preventions Low-Fat, Low-Cost Cookbook.) This recipe only has 581 calories per serving (I think the way I did even has less because I used skim milk instead of buttermilk) and 6.8 grams of fat. AND, it only boils down to $.93 a serving (according to the book!) Enjoy!

Filling:
1 1/2 cups chicken stock/broth
1 tablespoon honey
2 cups chopped onion
2 cups diced tomatoes (you could use canned, but I cut up fresh ones)
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup diced green peppers
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons canned diced mild green chili peppers (I used a fresh jalepeno)
2 cups cooked pinto beans
1 cup cooked chick-peas
1/3 cup whole kernel corn
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce

Biscuit crust:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons reduced-calorie butter or margarine
3/4 -1 cup low-fat buttermilk (I used skim milk)
2 teaspoons honey

To make the filling:
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a large casserole dish with no-stick spray.
-In large pot, put a little olive oil in pan and cook onions for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken stock and honey. Bring to boil. Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, garlic and chili peppers. Cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add the beans, chick-peas, corn, chili powder, and cumin. Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
-Pour 1/4 cup of cooking liquid into small bowl. Add the tomato paste and soy sauce. Stir until the tomatoe paste dissolves. Add back into vegetable mix. Let simmer for 5 minutes-continue to stir.
-When mixture looks "thick" (i.e. most of real runny liquid is gone), put vegetable mixture into casserole dish.

To make the biscuit crust:
-Blend flour and baking powder into a large mixture bowl. Using a fork, cut butter or margarine into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
-Into measuring cup, combine the honey and buttermilk. Add to flour mixture and stir with fork. Add up to 1/4 cup more buttermilk if needed to form a stiff dough. Knead lighly in the bowl for 3 minutes, or until dough is no longer sticky. Turn onto floured surface. Roll out to approximately 1/2 inch think and cut into biscuits (I used a circle cookie cutter to do this.) Place biscuits on top of filling.
-Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Cover and backe for 10 minutes more.

2 comments:

  1. Dang you...keep taking pics. It helps my drool factor!
    This sounds yummy and I'm sure I'll try it too. The peppers were great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this blog is great!

    ReplyDelete